The MRD Samaritans Outreach Program helps provide for the basic needs of the homeless, vulnerable youth, and their families. Making several stops a night in the MRD van, Allan distributes food, clothing, personal care product kits, emergency funds, and on-the-street care and support. He also provides bus tokens, sandwiches, and bottled water to homeless people living outside. Riding the bus provides them safe refuge from the city streets, and a place to get out of the cold in winter. He also distributes tokens to people without transportation to get to job interviews, doctor visits, appointments, etc. During the daytime hours, he follows up on requests for referrals to agencies that help with housing, counseling, chemical dependency, job placement, financial aid, and healthcare. In 2012 Samaritans Outreach alone will serve over 45,000 people in urgent need! Basics provided include:
• Emergency Food: Water, Sandwiches, Fruit, Bakery Goods, Baby Formula
• Clothing: Winter Coats, Hats, Boots, Socks, Gloves
• School supplies, Clothing, Books, Backpacks, Fieldtrip Funding
• Funding for Bus Tokens, Bus passes, and Minnesota ID Cards
• Basic Needs: Blankets, Diapers, First Aid Supplies, Personal Care Products
• Funds for Emergency Rent Payments, Transportation, and Misc.
• Funds for Prescription Medication Co-Payments